Hysteroscopy is a modern method of detecting and safely removing neoplasms of the uterine cavity.
This method allows to detect changes
in the endometrium at asymptomatic stages.
Hysteroscopy is generally performed between 6-12 days of the menstrual cycle, after preliminary tests are done. Abstinence for 2 days recommended.
A hysteroscope is a special optical device that transmits an image magnified several times (up to 10) to the monitor. The hysteroscope is inserted through the cervical canal into the uterus. The whole procedure takes around 15-40 minutes; then a woman stays up to 2 hours in the clinic. After hysteroscopy, you will be advised to exclude physical activity, lifting heavy weights, sexual intimacy, swimming in pools or outdoor water for 10 days.
TYPES OF HYSTEROSCOPY:
There are 2 types of hysteroscopy – diagnostic and operative (polypectomy, hystero-resection).
Diagnostic hysteroscopy is performed to evaluate and clarify the diagnosis. Allows for selective biopsy of areas of the endometrium with direct visual control. Hystero-resection is used if endoscopic intrauterine treatment is necessary, followed by histology and immunohistochemistry.
Definition of these hysteroscopy types is rather arbitrary, since hysteroscopy always begins with a detailed examination of the cervical canal and cavity, and then, if necessary, transfers to operation.
This procedure is performed using intravenous anesthesia.
Hysteroscopy can be performed as an independent operation or in combination with laparoscopy.
We use ultra-thin hysteroscopes manufactured by R. Wolf, which allows hysteroscopy to be performed without dilating of the cervical canal. During this surgical treatment Princess Slim 7 mm resectoscope is used.
WHO NEEDS HYSTEROSCOPY?
- diagnosis and removal of polyps (polypectomy);
- removal of intrauterine septum (septoplasty), synechiae adhesions, submucous myoma (myomectomy);
- infertility examination, recurrent implantation failure, recurrent miscarriage;
- removal of papillary proliferation of the endometrial (hyperplasia);
- postmenopausal bleeding;
- foreign bodies of the uterine cavity removal, intrauterine contraceptive device removal.
HYSTEROSCOPY HAS CONTRAINDICATIONS:
- pelvic inflammatory disease (PID);
- abnormal uterine bleeding;
- advanced cervical cancer;
- unfavorable results of vaginal smears (3-4 degree of purity);
BENEFITS OF CONTACTING REPROLIFE MEDICAL CENTER:
- the procedure is carried out with an ultrathin hysteroscope, 3-7 mm in diameter, without dilating of the cervical canal (this is of particular importance for nulliparous women);
- high efficiency: during hysteroscopy at the Reprolife Medical Center, it is possible to remove endometrial polyps, septum, synechiae adhesions, submucous myoma using a resectoscope and simultaneous coagulation of the vascular base that feeds neoplasm. This makes possible to exclude the development of recurrent formations;
- interdisciplinary approach – the possibility of a consultation with the participation of a IVF specialist, gynecologist, endocrinologist and other specialists;
- our specialists carry out diagnosis and treatment according to international protocols. They have experience in leading medical centers in Europe and the United States.