IVF main phases
In Vitro Fertilization is one of the most effective and advanced methods applied in overcoming infertility worldwide.
IVF programme is launched via a course of medically-induced stimulation of the ovulation (superovulation) due to the fact that for the fertilization to be successful it is necessary to receive several mature ovums (oocytes) at a time within one menstrual cycle − optimal number can range from 10 to 20. Stimulation is decided by a reproductologist concerning all individual health issues of a female patient and the results of profound medical examination. To reach the utmost results the medications (honadotropins) are used in certain amounts, normally during 11-12 days, which is accompanied by mandatory ultrasound monitoring of follicles’ growth and (based on indications) investigation of hormones. The growth of the follicles is controlled once in 3-5 days, and upon the leading follicle reaching 14 mm in diametre one more medication is added (GnRH-antagonists) to avoid the premature ovulation and to cause proportional growth.
Finally, when the follicles reach 19-20 mm in diametre an ovulation trigger is administered, the latter launches last stage of ovum’s maturation providing the possibility for their retrieval performed right after 35-36 hours following the moment of injection.
Transvaginal puncture (aspiration) of follicles is conducted to collect the follicle fluid with oocytes under the intravenous pain management (anaesthesia) and lasts for 20-30 minutes. Following, the female patient is carefully supervised for 1.5-2 hours.
While puncture as a part of IVF the follicle liquid is immediately transmitted to embryological laboratory. An embryologist performs the separation of oocytes by rinsing them from follicle liquid, giving prior assessment to their stage of maturation. Afterwards the oocytes are placed into specific environment and added to special incubator till the fertilization procedure is performed. The incubator sustains special conditions corresponding the organism of a mother (namely the environment in her fallopian tubes).
Upon the oocytes retrieval from a female, a husband donates sperm. At this stage special conditions are mandatory: the number of days of abstaining from 2 to 5, the exclusion of being affected by high temperatures (having hot bath or spending time in sweat bathes). The sperm production process takes 3 months and is vulnerable to harmful factors’ effect. The quality of sperm gets considerably reduced by: effect of alcohol, nicotine, toxic influence of certain medications − sedatives, some of antihypertensive, cytostatic, antiviral; the influence of a dye, lacquer, salts of heavy metals; strong overexertion; presence of acute and chronic conditions.
By planning the treatment the couple has either to exclude the influence of harmful factors or to reduce them to a minimum.
If due to some circumstances the male partner isn’t able to donate the semen fluid for oocytes fertilization in the day of oocytes retrieval, medical centre “ReproLife” applies technology of cryoconservation of the sperm. You can donate sperm to be frozen (remain in cryoconservation) in our clinic with its further preservation for the period requested.
On this demanding stage an embryologist, in 4 hours following the oocytes retrieval, conducts the classical fertilization (in vitro insemination) or with ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) which is the injection of a germ cell into ovum’s cytoplasm. In medical centre “ReproLife” ICSI is the most preferable, this allows us to select the best germ cells for fertilization in terms of morphology, accuracy, and quality; to assess the maturity and quality of oocytes, the coat thickness of the ovum, and its disposition towards fertilization.
For the 3-7 day of embryo development, the embryo transfer of one/two embryos into the uterine cavity is performed with the specifically designed catheter (the procedure is absolutely painless and does not require anaesthesia). In medical center “ReproLife” we perform embryo transfer on blastocyte stage (preimplantation stage of embryo development) hence the fact that the stage offers the highest chances for implantation and proper embryo development.
Embryo transfer is conducted with an application of ultrathin catheter which is absolutely safe for an embryo, supervised by ultrasound sound control on the urinary bladder full. During the procedure both a specialist and a future mom observe the embryo an image of which is translated on the monitor and an embryologist takes a photo capturing the condition of the embryo during an embryo transfer stage. Additionally, the female patient is provided with embryological conclusion on the stages of development of the rest of the embryos.
The rest of the embryos are being verified on blastocyst stage (are being frozen), that makes the planning of the next pregnancy possible, excluding the necessity for hormonal stimulation of ovaries to be repeated. Upon the completion of embryo transfer, a female patient is comforted in the out-patient department for 2 hours.
To support the implantation the fertility specialist prescribes the medications the proper administration of which is strictly regulated by a time frame. HCG Test (approving the pregnancy) is taken on the 14th day after embryo transfer and is discussed with the physician in charge. Based on the tests results the physician can make adjustments to the previously prescribed course. In a week an ultrasound is taken.
The only authentic pregnancy confirmation is the diagnosing of a fetal heartbeat.
Post-embryo transfer recommendations
After embryo transfer you should exclude any physical loads, overheating (having bath or sweat bath, messages), sexual intercourse. Prevent overcooling, contacts with diseased, try to follow maximally correct diet rich in organic food, increase water consumption (2-2.5 litre daily). What is more, the exclusively positive mind-set is of greatest importance. Try to get rid of all worries and stress.
Why "Reprolife" team should be entrusted with performing IVF
- In 2018 the positive results in getting pregnant with transfer of a single embryo into uterine cavity after PGS (preimplantation genetic screening) equaled 78.6 %. The effectiveness of cryoprotocol embryo transfer equaled 56 %, that is considerably higher if to compare with indicators of successful results ratio demonstrated by other clinics.
- Physicians of our clinic are members of European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE), American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), Ukrainian Association of Reproductive Medicine (UARM), constant participants of Controversies in Preconception, Preimplantation and Prenatal Genetic Diagnosis (CoGEN) и the Ovarian Club Meeting (OC).
- We perform the most effective and cutting-edge reproductive technologies: ICSI, PGT-A (NGS), PGT-M, PGT-SR, TESA, etc.
- Fertility program is selected based on personal requirements of every couple, this enables to reach the utmost result in pregnancy.
- Our own embryological laboratory fully meets the requirements of European and American quality standards.
- Our staff is a feather to our cap, this is the team of professionals working for the result − giving birth to healthy babies in every family who refers to us.
- We have our own cryobank of donors' oocytes and sperm in our disposal, to accomplish the programs with needed or characteristics.
- Medical centre "Reprolife" is popular and enjoys the respect in many foreign countries. We consult and admit patients from the USA, The UK, Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Greece, Cyprus, Montenegro and other states.